Assorted blather and musings from my little piece of turf...

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

People are People, so Why Should it Be...?

So much for my pathetic attempt to try NaBloPoMo for the official run in November. I completely forgot to post something/anything yesterday. So instead, I'm just going to do what I can, and hope that I have a repeat of April (23 glorious posts!).

Today is the U.S. presidential election. I'm pretty sure Obama will take it. While I don't truly believe he's the Messiah of the free world, I do think this is a significant moment in U.S. history. One ceiling is about to be smashed in spectacular fashion. I would love to debate the pros and cons of a race-focused campaign, but I don't think this is the right forum. It's such a touchy issue, so fraught with cultural and historic landmines, and so universal. If you have not been the object of racial prejudice, you probably know somebody who has, regardless of skin colour or the shape of the eyes.

It goes far deeper than melanin, the substance that gives skin its colour. Yeah that's right, more than skin deep. Even science can be opted by racists to try to justify their cause. I wish we could look beyond it and concentrate on merit and goodness (both of which, I admit, are subjective), but it's one of the hardest things to do in political dialogue.

In my Utopian view of the future (maybe this borrows, pathetically, from the world of 'Star Trek'), I pray there will come a time when people are just people, with all their strengths and flaws. They're not 'black' or 'yellow' or 'red' or 'white'. They're just human. That's all. Hopefully, voting for change is the beginning...

No comments: