Assorted blather and musings from my little piece of turf...

Monday, November 10, 2008

Tip of the Iceberg?

Just got off Facebook. Curiously, I don't consider myself addicted, but I'm not sure where to draw the line. I think it lies a little further out than where I've gone. It's not the draw for me that it is for others, but I can totally see the appeal. If you're nosy, it's the perfect drug. Facebook news about one's friends and distant acquaintances is well, sort of consensual gossip, no? Well, not always entirely consensual:) I daresay there might be one or two photos out there that people would rather bury deep in a fortified bunker many leagues underground...

I rather like it on several levels. One the one hand, I catch up with the goings-on in my friends' lives without having to actually put out much effort. Mmmmmm. Very satisfying for my introverted soul. On the other hand, if I want some attention, all I have to do is post something a bit intriguing, or add a new friend, change my photo, or my status, and up pop the comments. Nice. Usually. Or, I can indulge my desire to spy a bit by scanning a friend's profile, looking for updates. Creepy, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who does it. And someone has probably done it to me. And someone else to them. C'mon, it's not like I'm a full-on stalker, right? Riiiiight. Maybe I'm a little closer to that line than I'd like to be. But full-on, certifiable stalking is a whole other, disturbing issue.

I've been the object of a stalker's attention. Thankfully, he was on the relatively harmless side. But it was pretty damn uncomfortable, nonetheless. Trying to figure out how to deal with him was one of the most distressing aspects. While I knew his attention was inappropriate, he didn't seem to have a clue. And I didn't want to make it worse by provoking him. Luckily, for some reason, he merely left me a few long, long messages and then, eventually gave up. I know a few women who've had it worse. It can be very upsetting and scary. The stalkers need psychological help, because they're deep in denial, unable to perceive boundaries, out of touch with reality. Which makes getting help all the more difficult. And, of course, that kind of denial may just be the tip of a very large, very nasty iceberg. Not all women (and some men) have been as lucky as me. Sobering thought for the Facebook crowd.

No comments: