Assorted blather and musings from my little piece of turf...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I'm So Organised, I Scare Martha

It's pissy out today. Warm and wet and slushy. And my procrastinator button is stuck in the 'ON' position. Last night a friend came over and we made Christmas fruitcake for the very first time. Both of us fruitcake virgins, we decided on a double recipe and tried baking some of it in muffin tins as well as loaf pans. Well, since it was dark fruitcake it was a little hard to tell when it got to the 'over-baked' stage. So one of the few constructive things I've done today is scrape the burned outsides off the mini-cakes. Next, I'm going to wrap them in cheesecloth soaked in brandy and a soupcon of Grand Marnier, and then wrap them in the finest plastic, the rarest of aluminum foil, and put them in a safe place. When they are ready to be doled out to our unsuspecting friends and family, we'll garnish them with lovely nuts and figs and an apricot glaze, and hope they don't notice the scorched bits... What am I saying? If they're not on their knees in gratitude, they WILL be blacklisted. I'm also planning on making a huge whack of Greek shortbread cookies and vow to do my best not to eat them all before they can be given away. A monumental test of my puny will, but I am determined. There must be at least one cookie remaining when the clock runs out on 2008.

Not only that, but I managed to do all my Christmas shopping yesterday! Or virtually all of it. So now I'm going to traipse over to the post office and send some padded envelopes brimming with good cheer off to Alberta. This is so unusual for me, I don't know what to think. Perhaps I'll just bask in the togetherness of it all. I guess I'm less lazy than I thought.

No comments: